Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Coloring Porcelain

I recently became fascinated by the work of Chris Campbell and her use of Mason Stains to color porcelain, as shown in this beautiful platter she created...

Urban Conflux, by Chris Campbell 

I was very pleased to see that she offered an online lesson in coloring porcelain. I eagerly read it and followed up with other research. Then I ordered a small set of stains to start my own experiments...


Using small bits of porcelain, and with the proper precautions of wearing gloves and a dust mask, I mixed and wedged several color samples. 











I got a huge kick out of making a rainbow palette of beads...





I next played with techniques to combine different colors to make multi-colored beads...








I barely dipped my toe into coloring porcelain, but I see tons of possibilities here! After I get through Bead Fest in August I plan to spend more time playing - stay tuned!

2 comments :

  1. love these colors! Glad you're taking the safety precautions and mention them in your post. I've been tempted to experiment with porcelain clays myself - and I'm new to clay. If I dip, I've got a lot of experimenting to do.

    Have fuN! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a LOT of work! good for you....curious what kind of board you are working on there that has the grid on it??

    ReplyDelete